What are you reading at the mo?

Movies,Books, music, funny vid's etc
CrazyDooD

What are you reading at the mo?

Post by CrazyDooD » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:33 pm

Stolen this idea from the other thread heh ;)

I just finished reading Joe Abercrombies First Law Trilogy, and freeking thought it was awesome :)

I like Fantasy books, and not sure how I missed this series before, had it recommended to me, and couldn't put it down!
Superior Golkta is my fav character, what a d00d and a half imo :YMDEVIL:
A torturer with a conscience, hahaha, also the Mad northlander Logan is staunch as bastard as well, like how he keeps going beserk, and killing people he shouldn't hahaha

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Law-Tri ... 0575092963

Hoping people can point out some other gems I might have missed :D :geek:

FlakSabbath
Site Admin

Re: What are you reading at the mo?

Post by FlakSabbath » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Good topic!

I read first law series about 6 months back, awesomeness + (duno how i missed that series either)

I'm reading (when i get time) Terry Goodkinds Sword of truth series at the mo, have a few others I found in a top fantasy reads webpage somewhere, which i downloaded to my Nexus 7 lol
Will post a list of some stuff I have lined up to read in the next few months :D
Found it in a 5 star Fantasy reading torrent lol, and i have not read most of them, and I thought i was well read in fantasy haha
Im still just a n00b it would seem though :(

raaksha

Post by raaksha » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:11 am

Just started reading Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. He was the first fantasy author I read (Memory Sorrow and Thorn series) but I've not read any of his other books since (apart from the first Otherland which is an amazing science fiction book).

raaksha

Post by raaksha » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:14 am

PS - Flak, what do you think of Terry Goodkind? Of all the best known fantasy authors that guy drove me up the wall the most. The first 3-4 books in the SoT series were okay, then it started going into "hey, I swear I read that before in some other book" territory... I'm talking semi-plagiarised, renamed characters and just re-worded in general. It was like reading a bizarre cross between Robert Jordan and Raymond E Feist. And that's me being nice...! :P

FlakSabbath
Site Admin

Post by FlakSabbath » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:37 am

Yeah I must say for something that was recommended and supposed to be top rating, it is a bit "simplistic" for my fantasy liking's, like he stuck to the tried and tested formula, guy meets girl, guy meets wizard, guy gets big fuck off sword, guy saves the world... I am only probably half way through the first one, and I'm already a bit meh....

One series I massively enjoyed recently was The Black Company by Glen Cook.... Awesome series, something completely different Fantasy wise, following the fortunes of The Black Company a mercenary band, who fight for all sides, or the side that pays them the most, and only ever look out for themselves. I found this refreshing as it does not stick to any "winning" type format that is well over used, and goes where other fantasy series fear to tread, fighting for the dark side :)
Some people struggle with it as its always told from different peoples perspectives as you progress through the books, but I found this no problem, it will come as a shock when you read the series, you think WTF, where has ..... gone, but its just shifted the telling to anothers eyes for a period...

Tad Williams books are awesome, I have ShadowMarch here but have not read it yet (actually thnk its book 2 in the series I have) so need to get the first one! Tad Williams is awesome, one of my fav's like Raymon Fiest

muddNZ

Post by muddNZ » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Read the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson earlier this year, great series, was a bit heavy going midway through the 2nd (and last) book, but a great ending.

Currently reading The Riyria Chronicles and the Riyria Revelations series by Michael J Sullivan, they're a little bit like the Hawk and Fisher series but better.