New Rig help Please.

General Discussion
FlakSabbath
Site Admin

Re: New Rig help Please.

Post by FlakSabbath » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Excellent choice in Monitor, those BenQ gaming monitors are nothing short of awesome IMHO!
144hz, so as long as you tweak to keep your min frame above that you should be in heaven, wont be noticeable to be fair even if it drops as long as you keep above the 120 mark.
If you are worried about that possibility at all then upgrade to the 980 or get 2 x 970's! :) (that would require a PSU upgrade tho!)
Very hard to guesstimate frame rates for the new UT with it still missing lots of textures etc from the final builds, but I dont think you will be dissapointed.
Something to watch for with the 970s is the coil whine problem, google GTX970 and coil whine....

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/242 ... -concerns/ just FYI re expectations of receiving a unit with Coil Whine

I like my AMD cards, but each to their own as far as this goes :)

Either way you will be happy i think!

:enforcer :flak :bio :hammer :plasma :ripper :rocket :sniper :mini :shock :insta :telefrag

bacon buster

Post by bacon buster » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:49 pm

thanks mate, appreciate it

i guess i will get 1 x 970 to start with perhaps, and then add another if need be :P

HURT-U-I-WILL

Post by HURT-U-I-WILL » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:06 am

FlakSabbath wrote:Excellent choice in Monitor, those BenQ gaming monitors are nothing short of awesome IMHO!
144hz, so as long as you tweak to keep your min frame above that you should be in heaven, wont be noticeable to be fair even if it drops as long as you keep above the 120 mark.
If you are worried about that possibility at all then upgrade to the 980 or get 2 x 970's! :) (that would require a PSU upgrade tho!)
Very hard to guesstimate frame rates for the new UT with it still missing lots of textures etc from the final builds, but I dont think you will be dissapointed.
Something to watch for with the 970s is the coil whine problem, google GTX970 and coil whine....

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/242 ... -concerns/ just FYI re expectations of receiving a unit with Coil Whine

I like my AMD cards, but each to their own as far as this goes :)

Either way you will be happy i think!

:enforcer :flak :bio :hammer :plasma :ripper :rocket :sniper :mini :shock :insta :telefrag
Thanks for the pick up on the GTX970 Sabbath....given I have one I'll listen to it carefully once in a while to see if anything develops....but for now it is performing quite nicely...and given I only have one...my power bill will drop considerably after running 2 6970 cards in the old system :)
Cheers,

HURT-U-I-WILL

raaksha

Post by raaksha » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:20 am

Hey Suzuki - thought I might share this about the Proteus 502.

Got it, took me a while getting used (it's bloody heavy even without the weights, although I like heavy mice that one was too heavy imo), and started loving it, then noticed a few odd bits about it.

Firstly it didn't seem to like my Steelseries cloth mousepad on its default cloth pad settings (although that's for a Logitech one). Even using the tuning system it comes with didn't make it much better. Which is weird because the pad is awesome and it's the second time I've had that pad and never ever had any issues before, and that's on a number of different mice both gaming and otherwise.

Secondly the bloody thing started stopping and starting... :( So now it's gathering dust. Incidentally Blaise has the same mouse and was experiencing the same issue. Also I kept hitting the DPI buttons by mistake so I'd turn them off if you end up having no issues and keeping the mouse. I ended up getting a Corsair M65 RGB. Love the mouse but again taking me a while to get used to it.

raaksha

Post by raaksha » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:22 am

Bacon - Not sure why you'd want to run UT4 @ Epic. I nearly went blind on just medium settings! And it's getting worse, since with the last build they took away that semi-darkness which made it much easier to manage.

And if UT3 is anything to go by, Epic settings would be like playing the game on acid with one eye closed while someone's trying to box you. :P

Edit: PS I'd recommend an additional 8 gig RAM.

bacon buster

Post by bacon buster » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:36 am

thanks raaks
whether i run it @ epic or not, i'd just like to be ABLE to :)
you're probably right though

also want to future proof the PC a little. from a gaming perspective, it's only going to be used for UT4. i can only see the meshed maps looking better and better over the years, and requiring more and more grunt.

FlakSabbath
Site Admin

Post by FlakSabbath » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:59 am

Ram is a very subjective thing, it used to be the case where more ram was a big improvement, but thats really 8gb and under to be fair...
I have 7 machines in the house, most run with just 8gb, though the one I am on now is 32gb, my sons has 16gb, and the HTPC has 16gb.... The difference between 8gb and 32gb? Nothing, Nadda, zip...
Not that you would notice anyway during day to day use, if I was to set up a RAM drive, then yeah would be handy, but cant be arsed even with that lol!
As long as you have at least 8gb of System ram in a modern system, you should be sweet, you will see zero real world performance gains in gaming applications etc. (FPS wise, and loading time wise)
If you do a heap of 4K CAD modelling, and /or film editing etc, then yes more ram is going to help.

Most important thing for Gaming IMHO after the Gcard, is some decent SSD drives , the faster the better, I run 2 x 240gb Sandisk Extreme Pros in RAID 0, and am always the first into maps in BF4, and always the first to tick the ready up button. Never yet been beaten yet, and have people with other SSD's try!
UT maps loading times on my SSD's is about a second or less, not sure if its the same for other people as have not tried on another system in the house yet , you click join though, and bang you are in.
Have a system (i7-920) that I used to seed the BF4 server, and its running mechanical drives in RAID0, it can take 2 mins to load into a map on BF4, the SSD drives take about 10-20 seconds max.
Video ram is the best way to future proof yourself for gaming as well, make sure you get a card will bundles of it (your 970 should be fine), and leave yourself the option to add another card potentially.
Everything else is pretty much secondary.... Spend the dosh on the Items that are your weapons interfaces IMO, your Monitor, your mouse and KB etc, the case is cosmetic, and the CPU/MB etc is a wearable component.
Choose your monitor wisely, and it will last 3-4 system upgrades etc.

These are all just my thoughts, based on my playing around with crap over the years, and of course everyone has their own experience and preferences!

:matrix

fewpeople

Post by fewpeople » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:47 am

i get in faster than you Flak, :) i use a pcie revo drive. http://ocz.com/consumer/revodrive-3-pcie-ssd

FlakSabbath
Site Admin

Post by FlakSabbath » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:23 am

Lol the revos are nice, but as mentioned 2 x sandisks extreme pros in raid 0!!! The key being raid zero....

So you don't quite get in as fast as me :evilnana

http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/extreme-pro/

I'm running just under 1100mb/s and blitzing you on I/0's :biggun

Now if you had 2 x revos in raid, then I would say yes :evilnana :evilnana

And my warranty is 10yrs to your 3!! :fear

So I'm approx 100mb/s faster and nearly double the I/O's , you're still quick, but lose by 10% on pure speed,
And when it comes to workload you're down on horsepower!!

I looked at the revo's and had a mate who runs 2, but did some homework and bought the fastest possible with longest warranty! All for the price of a Revo drive!

They're still sexy as though!! :mooned

Suzuki007

Post by Suzuki007 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:41 pm